The North Carolina State Board of Elections has issued a summary memorandum regarding the placement and treatment of political signs. Please be familiar with this guidance if you are producing yard signs.
Key information includes:
- Political signs are allowed from 30 days before the first day of “one-stop” early voting to 10 days after the primary or election day.
- Political signs ARE allowed in public rights-of-way, including the state highway system.
- Signs in the right-of-way fronting private property should obtain the permission of the property owner.
- Don’t replace, remove or obscure other signs.
- Current campaign finance guidelines do NOT require a legend (“Paid for by…”) on yard signs.